As usual, my curiosity never stops. Last weekend when I was about to load the Yashica D, I found an already exposed film inside which was really strange because I never have done that before, (yes, there is a first time for everything!), and I am one who always processes my films the minute I get home.
Yesterday I decided to process the film and to be quite honest I did not even remember what images were on it. Of course as soon as I hung the negatives to dry it all came back to me, it was from a road trip at St.Bruno Park. This was an additional roll that I brought along with me and used after testing with the Ilford XP2 Super film.
I did not plan this at all, it just came to mind to try as I was rinsing the film. I thought, what would happen if I was to have the film soak in coffee for a while? So it is exactly what I did.
I used Nescafe decaf coffee and poured in 1/3 cup into the tank after the final rinse. I let it soak for about 30 minutes agitating every few minutes for about 30 seconds, (the water was at room temperature).
I know that there is Caffenol out there along with a variety of different recipes, but it never even crossed my mind until someone brought it to my attention on Instagram.
I am not sure if it really did anything, although you do see that the transparent part of the film has taken in some stain. The first thing I did was scan a few negatives as black and white then I scanned them as a color negative, just to see what would happen.
I am not sure what to say at this point but I went a step further and decided to change the levels adjustment layer to luminosity mode on the color scanned negative and this was the result:
I tried a few more with this workflow, and they were not very appealing and honestly the objective for me is to not to have to resort to Photoshop as much as possible. I am definately going to give this a go again but …differently.
A few more samples: